Saturday, November 03, 2007

How Can I Do It?

Sex. That's all it was supposed to be. YoungMan and I stepped into this situation with all the same expectations. It was going to be NoStringsAttached. We had amazingly hot sex one night, and we just wanted more of it. That's all there was to it. So why couldn't we remain in that realm? Perhaps we were too similar and our fates were already wound together, even without our knowledge. The way we talk, the way we walk side by side, the way we laugh and joke and play and fuck -- it's all so easy, so natural, so good. We've brought out beautiful things in one another and the time we've spent together feels like it was in a vacuum, free of the natural constraints that time and space place on matter.

On Thursday, I faced the most difficult challenge I have ever come across. How do you confess to being in love with someone and then in the next breath ask for time apart? And still that's exactly what happened. We both knew it was happening all along. We both felt our heart-strings singing an ancient song, and while our conscious selves were trying to ignore it, our transcendent beings danced in the revelry of it all. On Thursday, I went to go see YoungMan in person, after having not seen him in almost two weeks. Twelve days is all we could manage being apart. After twelve days of only text messeges, emails and phone calls, I finally saw his sweet, lovely, beautiful face. And the mere sight of him filled me with such strength. As though all of my questions were answered, as though Life gave me a gift of assurance and the understated single head-nod of affirmation, his smiling eyes took me to a plane of simple, unmediated joy.

And yet, the purpose of that visit... was to make a break. At the last session with the therapist, H, Dr. and I all "agreed" that I should stop all communications with YoungMan. Though I know rationally that it's probably best for the mending of wounds between me and H, I do not want this for me & YoungMan. The uncertainty of the future carries with it so much possible loss, and I fear the tender bud of our connection will not weather a harsh winter of dormancy. I fear his heart will harden and say its goodbyes to me, to us, to this relationship-in-infancy. We spoke of all this when we saw each other. I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. I actually asked him to wait for me. I've never asked that of anyone. I've never allowed myself to be so vulnerable to loss, to rejection, to the possible answer of 'No.' But I did, and after having seen him, I believe he will, and is doing exactly that. There is something strong, vibrant and resilient between us, and despite all the uncertainty, I know that we have something special that will carry on.

I told H that I would attempt a real go at being sexually exclusive with him. He is still hurting and insecure about the sex-stuff and all the comparison issues that come along with knowing about others, and I understand that only the knowledge and trust that all that has stopped can give him the security to begin his healing. I also told him that I know it will be difficult for me, and I hope he can be understanding of that. I can feel that this new arrangement will be heavy on me, and I know that I am at the edge of a very deep, dark pit, easily teetering into a long fall of cold and darkness. At the same time I know that this whole situation has in fact brought us closer. I've opened myself to H in ways I never imagined I ever could. And our interactions together have reflected more of an awareness toward one another than ever before. I think this will be a very difficult path, but one that already has presented us with more closeness and more mutual respect for one another.

H has said to me that maybe he can change. That it will take time, but that he thinks he may be able to change. I don't know what that means at all, but if it's being said to give me hope, then it's working. Though I feel emotionally tired, trying to sort through all these issues, there is still a thread of optimism that runs through me. I don't know how, but I feel deep down that things will work themselves out eventually. I do know however that I have an incredible support network all around me of caring individuals (online and offline), and I'm so lucky for that. Thank you to everyone here who has offered your kindness to me. You will never know how much it has helped me through these extrememly difficult times. I hope to respond to emails and questions that have been presented to me here in time. There's still a lot of murkiness to get through, but it's all going to take time. I'm beginning to feel once more that time is indeed my friend... here again, one day at a time.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does your husband have a website... because while it is lovely that you have wonderful people to support you as you work through the trauma of having fucked whoever you liked, your husband has who? You? But you're too upset mourning over YoungMan of course. I really hope H comes to his senses and dumps your narcissistic ass. Oh and by the way... don't "agree" to anything you know you are not going to honour... that is "lying", which is pretty much the same deceit you have been hurting your husband with up until this point. I really hope being a masturbatory fantasy for a bunch of fat guys in stained tracksuits who live at home with their mom while they read your self-aggrandising drivel has been worth it.

Anonymous said...

Gee...ya think the above noter is angry? LOL. Notice how they hide behind the anonymous...(but yet...they keep coming back?)

I offer you a big hug. What you are going through is very hard. Regardless if it is right - or wrong, it is still an awful thing to have to go through. We are human. We are capable of loving more than one person..Life, is hard at times.

anonym said...

Wow. Yes, I'm glad that our anonymous commentor really thinks that I've been putting my marriage, my love, my life at risk all for the thrill of keeping my blog readers excited and titillated. By the way, I do hope all of you lovely readers are fat guys in tracksuits(?) covered with stains and such. If that's the case, then I truly am free from my own narcissistic enslavement. Because then, everything I've written, and this entire existence is actually not real. Truly. Wouldn't that be nice?

Anyway, back to reality. Thank you E.C. for extending your hugs. My husband and I both know right is wrong and wrong is right in these types of situations. We're working through it one day at a time, and that's all I really can do. We worry about the future, but when it gets too heavy, we do step back, just to breathe. And we're both still alive. And yes indeed, life is hard at times. Which is why it's that much more important to be thankful and gracious of what precious little things we have and treasure.

WDKY said...

I fear that I see glimpses of my own past here, and whilst I'd like to see things turn out for "the best" I'm not sure what the best would be. Not for you, and certainly not for your husband.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's possible to try to mend things with H if - as you've done - you have simply put your affair on hold with the promise that it will be resumed. Your heart isn't in this reconciliation with your husband and to my mind it can only be doomed to failure. What you must do, if you mean what you say, is break free from your lover but I don't see you doing that any time soon.

If you can't do that, you are undoubtedly going to be the cause of further pain and hurt. One cannot absolve oneself from responsibility, Anonyma, and now I'd love to see a sense of that responsibility in terms of how you seek a resolution.

Whatever that resolution proves to be.

Anonymous said...

I do hope that you are finding the support that you need, from this blog and from other sources. As a person who has been in the Young Mans position I know that a sharp and decisive severing of ties is probably the only way you won't end up together again, especially when the relationship has moved beyond just sex.

Titus Pepper said...

I hope you find a way through this. Unfortunately, I do agree with Wdky that the future may contain some tough choices. If I understand you correctly, you don't want to give up Young Man - you are seeing the current situation as a temporary break.

I think that deep down you are trying to get to a position where you can stay with your husband and yet have your freedom without having to lie to him? Is there any suggestion whatsoever from your husband that he is able to contemplate any kind of "open marriage"?

If not, then you only have two choices: separate from your husband or give up YM. You could of course try continuing the affair in secret but I suspect you would not have told your husband if that was what you wanted?

I have been in a similar position to you. Like you, I was optimistic that somehow I could find a way to be more "free" without having to lose my family. Sadly, my optimism has proved to be false hope. Some people cannot cope with what you seek, no matter what.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

While it may seem like there is no going back with H after all this, there is still a chance. In my own experience, once I was free I realized how great it was before. And so did she. So there can be a happy ending, somewhere...

Chris said...

Oh wow. These are huge steps and changes. I missed a lot in my slackery. I am glad all things are out in the open for you. I think that's the only way you can find YOUR real path. I wish you luck and strength.

bdenied said...

The vituperous comments by annonumous almost make me think its your husband writing and if that is the case why can't he just come out and say he is angry.....but in any event, I understand......Erotic Couple hits the nail on the head, its hard to go through.....maybe you do want H and your young lover. So what.....where is it written that one has to only love one person......?where is it that says only one person can fulfill our needs?I feel for you because I understand you.....I am sorry you have to go through this turmoil....keep writing and keep us up to date and for Anonymous....get over it@!!!!!

Jim said...

I am NOT wearing a track suit . . .

XO

Tom Paine said...

This is, of course, the thing that C. fears most: one of us falling for someone else.

Cyril said...

anonym, the uncertainty of where your life stands now would turn my hair white if it were me.

and no . . . i don't do tracksuits.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure hubby is plenty angry but it wasn't him who posted that first comment. It was me. A stranger. A reader. A cheater.

I'm not against people having multiple partners, I'm not against monogamy.

I am against pretending you are monogamous to live a parasitic existence with someone who loves you enough to believe you.

Then when the guilt and heat and self-obsession all gets too much you dump all the pain on your sucker hubby by confessing... wow, you might have discovered the lifestyle of the future... you get to do what you want and someone else pays the price.

What does being emotionally attached to you mean? YoungMan gets turned on and off at your convenience, Hubby is entitled to suffer on your behalf... I bet he was actually looking forward to seeing you when he got back from his trip.

If you're going to do this have the spine to be the bad guy... either keep the secret or set your loved ones free.

The Land of Plethora said...

Just wanted to offer a word of support. Hang in there...going through this will have it's rewards. Nothing worth anything was gained easily.

It's easy to think we, as readers, know the whole story behind the blogs since often we can relate to the author. But there are so many sub-plots and missing information that do not get shared. I can't pretend to know your entire situation, but I have empathy as I can read in your words the pain you are experiencing. We are all human, we all make mistakes, and the wiser ones learn from them and share their experiences for others to gain insight as well.

Many good wishes coming your way...